GATHER significant experience before become a PADI OPEN WATER INSTRUCTOR!
ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT Course Prerequisites
- PADI Divemaster, or leadership level with another diver training organization.
- 18 years old
- 60 logged dives; documented experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation.
- Certified diver for six months
- Medical clearance attesting to dive fitness signed by a physician within the previous 12 months
- Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying training) within the last 24 months.
- If not a PADI Divemaster, complete the PADI Divemaster course dive rescue assessment and submit documentation of qualifying certifications for entry level, advanced, rescue and leadership level to PADI.
Assistant Instructor Duties
Teaching status AI are authorized to:
- Present the knowledge development elaboration for any PADI Diver course under the instructor’s indirect Professional Membership supervision. The instructor personally assesses student knowledge development.
- Present initial skills training under the instructor’s direct supervision during confined water dives.
- Conduct open water surface skill evaluations during Open Water Diver course dives under the instructor’s indirect supervision.
- Teach and certify Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Divers under the direction of an instructor.
- Independently teach the Project AWARE (non diving) Specialty course.
- Independently teach the AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation (non diving) Specialty course.
- Independently conduct Discover Scuba Diving in a pool or confined water.
- Independently conduct Bubblemaker programs.
- Independently conduct PADI Seal Team AquaMissions.
- Teach and certify divers in specialty courses that don’t include dives after completing Specialty Instructor Training courses and earning Specialty Instructor ratings for such specialties.